Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Harshness of the Second Voyage-Oct. 1, 1493

Dear Diary,

I have only been on this voyage for a few long, wearing days and so far we have experienced harsh and tiring situations. The other day I walked around the bow of the ship. I saw men feeding the pigs, horses and cattle that were taken on the ship and spotted Columbus. He was using the compass, trying to reinforce ourselves that we were heading towards the right direction. Life at sea is very different from the way we live on land. Our clothes are not freshly clean like they always are, our food and water supply is decreasing and people are becoming ill because of these circumstances. I must add that the large quantity of ships we have chosen to use for this voyage has been a vast advantage. The ship that I settle on has an extensive size in length. It is one the biggest in size out of the seventeen ships. However, a couple of nights ago there seemed to have been a menacing storm that hit. As the workers aboard tried to navigate in the right direction, some workers lost their lives with the powerful winds and enormous waves. The sail was moving more rapidly than I have ever seen it, catching the great winds from the storm and using all of its force to impel the ship. The more struggles we have on board, the more anxious I get to arrive on the land. Some men are predicting that we will arrive on land soon, but my prediction is still not constructive.

No comments: