Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Fountain of Youth-March 1, 1513

Dear Diary,

In a few days I shall set sail on my voyage to find the legendary Fountain of Youth. While some think that it is just a legend, I am sure that it is true; there is no doubt in my mind that I won’t find the fountain. I learned about this happy land from the Indians. Legend has it that on the island of Bimini there is a river, spring or fountain where the waters have miraculous curative powers. Any elder could bathe in them and would regain his youth. If you bathe in this fountain you not only regain your youth but gain internal life. The spring contains not only perpetual youth, but is teemed with gold and all sorts of riches. Many Arawaks have gone and never returned. This is evidence that they must have found the happy land and that it truly exists. King Charles V has made me pay for all voyage expenses; therefore I cannot make this a large trip. I have equipped three ships, The Santa Maria, The Santiago, The San Cristobal. I have approximately two hundred men joining me. I am feeling lucky towards finding the Fountain of Youth.

No comments: